I can already hear the responses, “Hang in there! She will come when she’s ready,” “The average first pregnancy last 41+ weeks,” “She will be here before you know it,” “You’re only 38 weeks; the longer she’s in there the better off she’ll be.”
I get this. I do. I just want to hear, “Katelyn, you are having a baby right now!”
All at once several pre-labor indicators surfaced. My baby dropped (confirmed by my doctor). I had my bloody show (bleh, gross term). I was dizzy and nauseous and cramping. I had plenty of contractions, albeit irregular ones. It really never struck me that these were signs of an “imminent” labor until I started Googling. Oh, Google.
Turns out an anonymous rabble of forum posters all had these symptoms, like, a week before going into labor. I was shocked. Completely surprised. I thought, excitedly, “Oh my goodness, this baby is coming early!” Not too early, so I was purely excited. Why do I put so much faith in these accounts?
I have chilled out substantially because it’s four days later and I am still pregnant.
How far along: 38 weeks and 2 days.
Size of the Baby: Winter Melon– about 19.6+ inches. We had our check up and the doctor said she’s between 6 lbs 14 oz. & 7.5 lbs. [eek, the girl is growing like a little weed!]
Current Feelings/Happenings: I’m ready to go into actual labor! I’ve been having contractions and constant pressure…just ready to get this party started! Everyday I feel like she is coming, and then my body is like “nope, just kidding. try tomorrow.”
Sleep: What’s sleep? But in all seriousness, I have been sleeping HORRIBLE! I have been waking up at all hours of the night with contractions and cramping that keep me up for hours. I keep thinking “this is it, it might be go time”.. then nope, they will fade out after a few hours. I am really getting tired of it.
Movement: She has slowed down a little this week, I’m assuming she’s is running out of room. When she does move, I definitely feel it and it’s reassuring she’s doing just fine in her little space.
Ok, now onto the hospital bag! I have all three [mine, baby’s and hubs] bags packed, but I wanted to start out with showing what in our little girls bag. If you read online, there are SO.MANY.OPINIONS on what to pack/packing too much/packing too little. I went with what I felt she could use. I probably even over packed a little, but it at least fits into one small bag. 🙂
- Blanket – I packed two since we are having two different photographers, one for the birth and one for the Fresh 48. I know I definitely want to use the monogram one during her fresh 48 pictures, but I brought a back up just in case.
- Hat and Going Home Outfit – I found this perfect little monogram dress and matching hat. I wanted to get a onesie, but since I’m not sure how big she will be, I figured the dress was a safer bet.
- Boppy – Since I am planning on nursing baby girl, I am definitely bringing this.
- Pairs of Mittens. I want to make sure she has some mittens so she doesn’t scratch up her little face.
- Hair Bows and Headbands. Pretty much an essential when you are having a baby girl, right? Yeah, no explanation needed.
- 2 Pairs of Pajamas. Since I’m not sure what size she will be, I brought a few options in newborn and 0-3 months. I will probably be exhausted and this might be the last thing on my mind, but I wanted to bring some for our little baby girl in case I want to change her into little girly outfits. And she can just stay in them all day and night.
- Emery Boards, PaciGrip, and WubbaNub – Again, not sure if she will need any of this, but these are a few things I wanted to make sure to pack just in case.
Hopefully this is the last update, but I’ll keep y’all updated throughout the process!